Find the best ways to get rid of dry scalp fast with these overnight treatments. You can also use natural home remedies to permanently cure flaky scalp.
A dry, flaky and itchy scalp can be caused due to number of reasons. Dehydration, malnutrition or poor nutrition, eczema, psoriasis, chemotherapy and even excessive use of shampoo can cause dry and itchy scalp. But this condition can be helped by making some simple changes and even by some home remedies; you can make your scalp from dry and itchy to smooth and soft and with head full of beautiful healthy hair. These changes are explained in this article in step by step process to moisturize and remove dry scalp fast.
Exfoliate dead skin cells
Removing dead skin cells from your scalp is a necessary process as it will helps clear blocked pores that may be interfering with production of sebum. Sebum is the oil produced by the sebaceous gland which makes scalp flaky.
- Mix a tablespoon or two of sugar or salt with your shampoo.
- Gently apply this mixture to your scalp with your finger tips but avoid using your fingernails as it can cause micro tears in the scalp.
- Remember to wash your hair properly after exfoliation.
Massage your Scalp
Massaging your scalp help blood circulation and it also clear up any of the remaining dead skin cells in that area. You can have a scalp massage during or before your shampoo. It is not some big thing you can even do it while you are resting or watching TV. Just use your fingertips and massage your hair just like you shampoo but with your scalp. One may also apply oil on the fingertips before the massage as a bonus for your scalp. Massaging also helps loosen the excess dead skin and dandruff which in turn makes it easier to wash off during shampoo. After the massage one can continue with deep hair treatment.
Shampoo Your Hair
Shampooing your hair is done by everyone but one common mistake that people make is that they use lot of shampoo. Instead use less shampoo because that decreases the chances of leaving some of shampoo particles in your hair which can cause irritation and dry scalp. Also avoid using extremely hot water as it can dry out the skin and cause dry, flaky scalp. The same can also be said for heat styling products like blow-dryer, hair straightener.
Maintain Healthy Diet
As your head is part of your body and so your diet also affects that part of your body. One must have a healthy diet as it will help your hair to grow stronger and healthier and free of any problems.
- As I said before hair is basically made of proteins and so it needs it to grow stronger. So one must include protein rich food in their diet like eggs, fruits, leafy vegetables etc.
- To keep the hair moisturized omega-3 is found in cell membranes in the skin of the scalp. So one must include food which is rich in omega-3 fatty acids like walnuts, spinach, flax seeds, salmon etc.
- To prevent dry scalp one must include food rich in vitamin E like almonds, tomatoes, blueberries etc.
- One must avoid caffeine and alcohol to help in getting rid of dry scalp.
- Vitamins B and C helps to maintain moisture levels in your hair so one must include food like fish, meat, milk etc in their diet.
- As dryness is caused due to lack of water one must drink plenty of water.
- One can also include foods which are rich in zinc and iron like oyster, beef, pumpkin etc in their diet to get rid of dry scalp.
Home remedies for dry scalp
Deep hair treatment with home remedies is often considered the best treatment as it helps to get rid of dry scalp and at the same time it can help your hair to become strong and smooth. One can also use home remedies for deep hair treatment. Some of the methods of deep hair treatment are mentioned below:
- Take a sauce pan and pour some oil in it. Warm this oil properly until it is warm but not hot to touch. Just keep in mind it should be warm but not hot as you are going to apply it to your scalp.
- Take the oil off the heat and leave it for a minute just to be safe. Apply this to your hair in sections, use hair clips if required. Since you have dry scalp you may as well rub some oil on your scalp but not too much as it can cause oily hair.
- Cover it with shower cap or any other plastic cap and leave it to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash it with lukewarm water and then shampoo your hair until there is no longer that oily feeling but do not strip your hair of oil.
- Mix two egg yolks, two teaspoon olive oil, and four teaspoon water. Stir it until the mixture is balanced. The quantity can vary depending on your hair length.
- Apply this mixture to your hair and leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Remember to wash your hair properly because if not done properly your hair will stink.
- Take an Aloe Vera leaf cut it and remove a teaspoon of gel. Do not cut the entire leaf as you may waste the gel.
- Apply this gel to your scalp as often as needed.
- Leave it in the scalp as long as you want as it won’t harm your hair or scalp.
- You can also purchase Aloe Vera gel from store but remember to buy the sugar free one.
- Make a mixture from two cups of beer and add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Apply this mixture to the hair after shampooing just like any other conditioner you use.
- Take an eight-ounce bottle of nice, dark beer and add few drops of jojoba oil.
- Apply this mixture to you scalp and hair if you want.
- Leave it for 15 minutes.
- Wash your hair with lukewarm water and remember to shampoo after this treatment.
- Take half cup of mayonnaise and apply it to your dry scalp and roots and entire hair properly.
- Cover your hair with shower cap or plastic cover and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and then remember to shampoo properly.
Tips to Prevent Dry Scalp
- Use moisturizing shampoo and conditioner to prevent dry scalp.
- Avoid using hot water for shampoo instead use cold water.
- Avoid using any heat styling products like blow-dryer.
- Do not use excessive shampoo or it will become the reason of your dry scalp.
- Remember to wash your hair properly and not to leave any particles behind.
- Do not apply conditioner often on your hair as it will temporarily smooth your hair but will cause damage. Except if the conditioner is prescribed to you by a hair specialist or it is a natural conditioner.
- Do not use blow dryer or any heat styling tools as it may take away the moisture from your hair and leave it dry.
- Massage your hair daily with your finger tips as it will help the blood circulation in that area and release the sebum.
- Avoid using harsh chemical substances for your hair instead use more natural based products.
- Use almond oil to massage your scalp as it acts as a moisturizing agent and will prevent dry scalp.
Dry scalp should be treated properly because if left untreated it can cause more problems like dandruff, weaken hair roots and ultimately baldness. Dry flaky scalp mostly occurs during winter season due to the cold temperature. To prevent dry scalp the treatment are given above and one must follow the procedure given above to treat and prevent dry scalp.