Treating runny nose can be a hassle most of the time. Runny nose is very common among people; it is most of the time a symptom of common cold. It can further cause irritability, fever, cough, sore throat, sneezing, upset stomach, sleep disturbance and appetite disturbance.
Ways to Treating Runny Nose
When treating runny nose, you need to have patience as it usually clears without treatment. There are no medications that can cure this problem and it does not go away in just a day, but there are some home remedies to lessen the discomfort and help in faster recovery.
- Saline rinse is one of the best home remedies for a runny nose. It helps loosen up mucus, making it easier and more comfortable to expel. It helps clear the nasal passages of irritants and helps you breathe through the nose. To use this solution, mix ¼ teaspoon of table salt in a cup of boiled water which has been cooled to room temperature. Put a few drops of the solution into one of the nostrils, while tipping your head backwards. Immediately suck out the excess mucus using a bulb syringe, while closing the other nostril with one of your fingers. Do this to the other side of the nostril.
- Eucalyptus can also be helpful in reducing runny nose and associated symptoms in children. It works as a decongestant, which makes it easier for the person to get rid of mucus. For this just put 4-5 drops of eucalyptus oil in warm bath water and enjoy the bath for 10 minutes. Repeat twice daily.
- Basil has an antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties that help fight the cause of the runny nose. For this treatment, extract 1 tablespoon of juice from fresh basil leaves. Mix the basil juice with equal amounts of ginger juice, lemon juice and honey and drink this mixture 2-3 times daily
- Honey is another effective treatment for a runny nose in a child who is 2 years of age or older. For small children, honey should not be used as it may cause bacteria that cause botulism. Its antibacterial and antiviral properties help reduce the various symptoms of a runny nose and it even helps treat coughing and a sore throat.
- Chicken soup can also help in treating the discomfort of a runny nose as it helps in improving the immune system function and even prevents infections of the upper respiratory tract. It is also light and nutritious to eat for someone who is sick.
People might actually think that medicines can help in treating runny nose, but as contrary to that, it cannot help in the treatment. These simple and effective home remedies can be very beneficial if you just have the patience in studying the right ways in using these methods.